Engineering Associate – Land Surveying
Public Works Department
Salary Range: $68,775 - $90,504 annually
Starting salary is $68,775 - $83,676 (depending upon qualifications)
Full-time, non-exempt position plus full benefits package.
The closing date for this position is 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, February 26, 2020.
Hiring a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve is essential to delivering exceptional City services and programs. The City of Hillsboro is committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees to thrive. We value, respect, and empower employees as unique individuals with authentic voices and diverse ideas.
The City of Hillsboro’s Public Works department has a new opportunity for a skilled Engineering Associate. The Land Surveying Engineering Associate will communicate with consulting surveyors, engineers, contractors, vendors, various stakeholders and the community, in order to fully oversee technical aspects of survey projects. This is a great opportunity to be an innovative member of a team that is leading the future of Hillsboro’s infrastructure.
The ideal candidate shall be proficient at reading and interpreting surveys, maps, plats, legal descriptions, and engineering plan sets. Proficiency in AutoCAD Civil 3D and Trimble Business Center or similar programs is highly desirable. Clear and effective communication is essential when assisting others to navigate the permitting processes associated with construction projects, including County Surveyor coordination. Knowledge of municipal code, Hillsboro standards, and Oregon Revised Statutes, as well as general surveying and engineering practices. When field surveying, the best candidates will be able to see solutions when presented with challenges. The Engineering Division has a team atmosphere and collaborates closely with Capital and Development teams as well as internal and external stakeholders.
Typical daily tasks include:
• Preparing surveying and engineering drawings and plans for capital improvement projects; ensuring compliance with established standards, ordinances and laws.
• Calculating surveys, plats and maps.
• Preparing legal descriptions, exhibits and documents (easements, deeds, etc.) for development projects using approved forms. Coordinating and tracking documents through signatures and recording.
• Reviewing surveys, plats, legal descriptions, and engineering plans to ensure compliance with code requirements.
• Performing on-site surveys and inspections of streets, utilities and land for surveying assessment; analyzing and documenting site conditions for review and input in defining project scope.
• Maintaining department’s computer-aided design and drafting software standards to ensure uniformity in engineering documents.
• Performing surveying and engineering project work as needed; May assist in coordinating and monitoring the work of external agencies to ensure development standards and contract terms are met.
• Managing records and information in any format, in accordance with applicable statutes, regulations and City policy, guidance and records retention schedule.
General Statement of Duties
The principal function of an employee in this class is to review engineering plans for public infrastructure to ensure compliance with code requirements; prepare easement and dedication documents for public and private entities; perform field surveying in support of various City departments. Lead worker responsibilities are exercised over departmental personnel, as assigned.
Acceptable Experience and Training
Bachelor’s degree in Geomatics or Civil Engineering and 2 years of land surveying experience including lead worker responsibilities; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Allison Bergseng, Sean Morrison, Ryan Godsey, Michael Filicky
CITY OF HILLSBORO
ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE – LAND SURVEYING
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Please prepare responses to each of the following items. Relevancy of your experience and training together with composition, grammar, spelling, punctuation, legibility, and neatness will be considered when evaluating responses. Provide as much detail as you believe will fully describe your experience and training.
Applications without a cover letter, resume, and supplemental responses will not be considered.
PO Box 230548 Tigard, OR 97281
Learn about PLSO
Board & Chapter Information
County & State Offices
News & Events
The Oregon Surveyor
Surveyor of the Year
Education & Careers
PLS Exam Study
Job & Intern Board
Support Education & Outreach
Board of Directors Portal